WELCOME

Forest Home Cemetery OVERVIEW: As early settlers came to Milwaukee in the 1840s, they had to make vitally important and lasting decisions without available solutions. Soon after the city was founded in 1846, civic leaders began searching for a place where local...
Read More

EVENTS

Subscribe to our calendar to follow the special events we present throughout the year. Our popular guided tours are offered in the months of June, July, and August.
Read More

Help Preserve Forest Home Cemetery

Founded in 1850 to provide a place for dignified burial, this idea continues to this day with the assistance of the Association as the 501(c)(3) tax exempt organization to assist the cemetery in meeting both current and future needs. To mark the graves of our Boys in...
Read More

Forest Home Preservation, in cooperation with cemetery leadership, supports the protection of the cemetery in both its historical significance and the continuing development of it to meet the needs of the greater Milwaukee community.

Support by the Association will include annual fundraising, development of an endowment to insure the cemeteries long-term future and continual improvement of the operations of the cemetery.

Our efforts are developed in conjunction with the cemetery board and leadership in both an annual plan and a perspective that looks to the future of the cemetery for the next 50 to 100 years.
Byron Kilbourn

Byron Kilbourn

Kilbourn was born in Granby, Connecticut but he is most identified as an Ohioan where he spent most of his youth. His father James Kilbourne served in the War of 1812 and subsequently served in the US Congress for two terms. Kilbourn leaned the surveyor trade in Ohio...

Frederick Layton

Frederick Layton

Frederick Layton arrived in Milwaukee along with this father John in 1843 and purchased a farm in the Oak Creek area and by 1845 they opened Layton’s Meat Market on Water Street. John was a butcher in England Cambridgeshire. In the early days of the market they...

Forest Home Cemetery is a unique and special cemetery that is tied to the history of Milwaukee and Wisconsin since 1850.